Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Project 3: The build Process

This is the completed model prior to the addition of the street line and overhead awning. I added a lot of the surrounding site as I thought it was important to the depiction of the building as a model. It's context influenced the design and thus most of the carpark is included.

I constructed the site from white foam core to represent the base mass of the surrounding buildings as simply as possible. The brightness of white highlighted the raw brick structure of my model and represented its street culture in its difference to the surrounding buildings.

This is an image of my actual design as a whole, prior to the making of the site.

I constructed the model in 4 main stages; firstly the main gallery room, secondly the apartment at the rear of the site (seen here), the courtyard in the middle of the two and finally the site itself.

This is my skylight of graffiti, which can be seen to illuminate the main function room. I was only able to make this out of paper which i reinforced later with a whitecard frame, as whitecard itself was much too difficult to cut in such a fine way.

Here you can see the aluminum foil added to my model, to represent the side of trains which is another exploration of materiality in graffiti surfaces and in turn its evolution.

This was very difficult however as the sandpaper wore away my knife very quickly and was difficult to cut.

The choice to use sandpaper was one based on a desire for a strong sens of materiality on the model. My exploration of the evolution of graffiti involved changing surfaces, and of course one of the most raw elements is brick. I used sandpaper to represent this and it resulted in a beautiful texture that encourages one to touch it.

No comments: