Thursday, May 14, 2009

Project 2: Room and Narrative

I chose a 17th century painting by Pieter de Hooch to use as the basis for my narrative. This is his oil on canvas entitled 'Mother's Duty' and as i studied I found many interesting connections within the painting and used it to form my narrative.
The original concept is based on the map which can be seen above the doorway. This was a symbol for the knowledge the Dutch believed they had for the land at the time; exploration was peaking and an intimate knowledge of the land was being established. This led me to create the character of the cartographer, a map maker working on this knowledge and transforming it into tangible maps. I then created this painting as the setting for his family left at home as he is out far in the lands making his maps. His wife waits patiently, consoling the daughter who is longing for her father to return. The light is tamed, giving a sombre mood while his dog waits looking out the door for his master. The window in the background is a symbol for the distance, the future. This led me to create my narrative as such:

The tireless cartographer works ceaselessly in his lofty and silent abode.

No comments: